Transitioning once again to mark the change of the season, we are excited to welcome bright colours that we associate with the month of August and seasonal produce that has ripened to perfection.
A time to cherish and celebrate, the midst of summer brings us endless opportunities for provenance-led cooking and delivering a true plot to plate experience. Seasonality and simplicity are at the heart of our philosophy at Petersham Nurseries; sourcing fresh produce that is local, fresh and always free from chemicals. Whether picked straight from the cutting garden at our nurseries, or from our family farm in Devon, Haye Farm, fruit and vegetables are at the pinnacle of what we serve in our kitchens, alongside sustainably-sourced fish and meat.
Our Summer Produce
Summer brings us an exquisite array of seasonal ingredients; simple, sustainably-grown produce that strikes the perfect balance of flavour and variety. As the season transitions and we set our sights on warmer weather, the colours of our plates reflect the changes found outdoors, each individually inspired by nature.
Datterini are a delicious variety of small tomatoes, ethically sourced from Sicilian suppliers. Grown in Sicily with mineral-rich soil combined with it's dry climate, these tomatoes are renowned for their beautifully rich and sweet flavour.
Recipe: Datterini & Burrata
- 250g red Datterini tomatoes
- 250 yellow Datterini tomatoes
- 10g salt
50ml extra virgin olive oil
- 10g fresh basil
- 2g dry oregano
- 1 ball of Burrata
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees celsius.
- Wash the Datterini tomatoes and remove all storks
- In a large baking tray, combine all of the tomatoes, drizzle the olive oil, sprinkle the salt, dray oregano and add the basil.
- Roast them in the oven for 10-15 minutes until tender.
- Remove them from the oven and allow to cool down.
- Serve the roasted tomatoes into a bowl and place the Burrata on top.
- Sprinkle with salt, dried chilli flakes and garnish with fresh basil
Recipe: Peaches & Wine
- 1kg white or yellow peaches
- 750ml Italian dry white wine or Prosecco
- 100g sugar
- 150ml water
- 30g fresh lemon verbena or mint
- Sorbet or ice cream (optional)
- Fresh mint (for garnish)
- Cut the peaches into chunks and remove stones (roughly 2cm pieces).
- In a pan, add the wine, sugar, water and lemon verbena and bring to place and bring to a boil.
- Remove from the heat and place the chopped up peaches, allowing the ingredients to reduce to a syrup.
- Allow the poached peaches to reduce to room temperate.
- Once cool, serve a helping into a bowl and garnish with a scoop of ice cream or sorbet - we recommend peach or lemon sorbet, or vanilla ice cream.
- Garnish with a sprig of fresh mint.
“Inspired by my memories back at home in Italy, it was common growing up in my family to have strawberries with red wine. As children, we were only allowed to have the fruit (of course without the wine! – but we would always sneak a sip or two).”
When it comes to sourcing fish for our menus, we work with suppliers who follow sustainable fishing practices.
When it comes to sourcing fish for our menus, we work with suppliers who follow sustainable fishing practices which respect the marine ecosystem and reject the capturing of any endangered species.
Ghigha halibut, one of our key suppliers, provides our Wild Halibut which can be seen across our menus at Petersham Nurseries. The Gigha Halibut system is unique - using a land-based system of aquaculture where the water is pumped straight from the Atlantic and into our tanks. The system harnesses the clean Atlantic waters from the Sound of Gigha to create a natural and protected environment in which the wild Halibut can develop.
Summer dining at our Restaurants
From the compelling ambience within our first greenhouse restaurant in Richmond to the vibrant Italian flavours that grace the tables at La Goccia and The Petersham; every signature Petersham Nurseries dish shares the same core philosophy; seasonality. With an abundance of ethically sourced and locally farmed ingredients across Richmond and Covent Garden this summer, each menu will never compromise on quality and ethics behind the produce that forms it.
Indulge in our menu at The Petersham, featuring an incredible array of dishes that reflect the summer months including our Pesche e Burrata and our Scallop carpaccio with lemon and cherry sauce. Explore our speciality seafood dishes, from Linguine, Datterini and lobster to our Ghiga halibut and Datterini guazetto, all using sustainably-caught, organic fish from the British coastline.Find out more
Summer at La Goccia means a whole new host of exciting sharing plates, inspired by glorious Italian summers. Lose yourself in our vibrant menu with highlights including our Crab Linguine with Chilli and Garlic, Pan Fried Mackerel with Mediterranean Salad and our Burrata with Roasted Datterini Tomatoes.Find out more
Our Summer Recipes
Each and every recipe dreamt up by our culinary team is designed with seasonality in mind, only using responsibly sourced ingredients at their peak, to promise the best in flavour, provenance, and conscience. Summer brings about the perfect opportunity for our chefs to explore a diverse selection of sustainable produce, found both here in Britain and farmed by like-minded suppliers across Italy and wider Europe, to create only the finest, high-quality experiences in our restaurants.
Recipe: Whole Lemon Sole with Girolle and Lemon
- 1 whole Lemon Sole
- Half a Lemon
- Pinch of Salt
- 2 tbs Olive Oil
- 100g Butter
- 200g Girolle Mushrooms
- Chilli flakes
- 3 sprigs of Rosemary
- Handful of Safe leaves