Sloes – from the tree, Prunus spinosa, known more commonly as Blackthorn – are a relative of the plum and are well known in Britain as the fruit behind a rather delicious liquer. Sloe Gin is made by soaking the sloes in gin, with plenty of sugar to coax the juice out of the fruit. This results in a wonderful, rich red liquer, that tastes sweet and earthy.
Here, we add lemon to balance the sweetness, and fizz to give texture. Follow our step by step instructions for Sloe Gin Fizz below.
- Fill your glass with ice cubes and set aside to cool
- Separate the egg to get your egg white (we use Haye Farm eggs and you can taste the quality even in cocktails!)
- Add 20ml fresh lemon juice to the egg white
- Add 50ml sloe gin
- Dry shake the mixture first (no ice!)
- Then add some ice cubes and shake again
- Get rid of the ice from the glass set aside
- Double strain the mixture into the glass
- Top up with a splash of soda, to the top of the glass
If you don’t fancy making one at home, or want to come and see Lonan in action, join us in the La Goccia bar this Christmas. We have Sloe Gin Fizz and a host of other wintery cocktails, which go wonderfully with our cicchetti and Christmas dining menu.
We are open 11:30am to 11pm Monday – Saturday, and 11:30am to 6pm on Sundays.